- Implementation of Official Language Act 1987 and notifications issued under this Act.
- Implementation of the Language policy of State Government.
- To initiate the measures for maximum use of Official Language in Administration as well as other fields of knowledge.
- To impart training by introducing schemes or by way of workshop, seminars, etc.
- To impart training in Devnagari for computer typing, so that employees will be familiar with replies in Konkani, Marathi & Hindi.
Services rendered by Directorate of Official Language
1. Translation of various types of documents received from other Government Departments into Konkani/Marathi/Hindi/Portuguese and vice-versa, viz 1) Developmental schemes, 2) Invitation cards, 3) LAQ’s, 4) Election manuals, 5) Press notes, 6) Citizen Charters, etc.
2. Imparting training of Konkani Language to all Government employees at all Taluka level including all India Service Officers posted in Goa, so as to facilitate them to use Konkani Language for Administrative purposes. Devnagiri Computer typing training to the clerical staff is also a part of this training programme.
3. Preparation of various Terminologies in different subjects viz Administrative, Legal, Legislative, Folk-Lore (Lokved), Economics-Finance, Medicines, Granthalaya Paribhshik Utaraval Kosh, Education, Press Media, Glossary/Dictionary of Literary terms, Glossary of Environmental Science, Medical Science and Awareness, Terminology of Trees, etc. in Konkani Language.
4. Implementation of the scheme for Publication in official language to encourage prospective aspiring Goan writers.
5. Organizing Workshops, Seminars, on translations, copy editing, proof reading, vetting, etc.
6. Implementation of the scheme for Promotion of Vernacular Languages and other languages incoerporated in the VIIIth Schedule of the Constitution of India.
7. Providing financial assistance to different literary organizations functioning in Goa for promotion of vernacular languages.
8. Release of recurring Grants to Goa Konkani Akademi and Goa Marathi Akademy for the development of Konkani and Marathi languages respectively.
9. Grant-in-Aid to Dalgado Konknni Akademi, Konkani Bhasha Mandal & All India Konkani Parishad for their activities in the field of promotion of concerned languages.
10.Directorate of Official language functions as Nodal Authority for use of Official Language by different Government Departments in their day to day administrative correspondence whenever required.
11.Nodal Agency with Government of India pertaining to State official language and facilitating languages in VIIIth Schedule of the Constitution of India.
12.To make all Government Websites multilingual (Konkani, Marathi, English etc.).
13.Translation of various assembly matters in Konkani and Marathi. Also assistance to the office of the Speaker for the Legislative business in Konkani.
14.Translation of various Name Boards, Nomenclature, Election related matters etc. in Konkani and Marathi.
15.Setting up of permanent training centre to give training of Konkani language to government employees is under process.