The Home Department is one of the most pivotal departments mainly responsible for the maintenance of internal security and implementation of domestic policy for the State of Goa. It also acts as a Nodal Department to coordinate between the various departments under the Government of Goa and to provide guidance and expertise on the subject matters dealt by the Home Department under the Business of the Government of Goa (Allocation) Rules.
The prime objective and responsibilities of the Home Department include maintenance of Law & order, Crime control, police administration, Arms matters, administration of justice, internal security matters, human rights matters, matters of Freedom Fighters, Medals and Awards, NRI matters, Citizenship matters and also to liaison with Central Government, other State Governments and the Armed Forces on various administrative and policy matters.
Home department is headed by Secretary (Home)/ Chief Secretary. The other officers administering the department are :
- I.Additional Secretary (Home)
- II.Under Secretary (Home -I)
- III.Under Secretary (Home-II)
- IV.Section Officers- 4 nos.
There are two divisions in the department i.e. Home Department (General) and Home Department (Foreigners & Citizenship). Both divisions are headed by their respective Under Secretaries.
The Line Departments, Organizations under the Administrative control of the Home Department include:
- i.Goa Police Department including IRBn.
- ii.Directorate of Fire & Emergency Services.
- iii.Inspector General of Prisons.
- iv.District Magistrates & Executive Magistrates.
- v.Home Guards & Civil Defense.
- vi.Directorate of Prosecution.
- vii.Department of Sainik Welfare.
- viii.NRI Affairs.
- ix.Custodian of Evacuee Property.
In addition to the above line departments, Home Department processes the administrative matters of Goa Human Rights Commission and State Police Complaints Authority.
Acts implemented by the Department:
- i.The Prisoners Act, 1900 along with Prison Act, 1984 and Goa Prison Rules, 2021.
- ii.The Private Security Agency (Regulation Act, 2005).
- iii.Haj Committee Act, 2002.
- iv.Fire and Emergency Act, 1997.
- v.The Protection of Human Rights Acts, 1993.
- vi.Essential Service Maintenance Act, 1988.
- vii.The National Security Act, 1980.
- viii.Substance Act, 1987.
- ix.The Goa Daman and Diu Gambling Act, 1976.
- x.Prevention of Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs Psychotropic.
- xi.The Arms Act, 1959 (Act 54 of 1959).
- xii.Citizenship Act, 1955.
- xiii.Goa Police Act, 1861.
- xiv.The Goa Maintenance of Public order & safety Act, 1988.
- xv.The Emblems and Names Act, 1950.
Schemes/Rules/ Matters Administrated by the Home Department:
- i.Goa Witness Protection Scheme, 2018.
- ii.The Goa Freedom Fighters Welfare Rules, 2013.
- iii.Scheme for providing Employment in Government to the Children of Freedom Fighters, 2013.
- iv.Goa Victim Compensation Scheme, 2012.
- v.Grants in aid to Goa State Haj Committee to facilitate travel & arrangement required for Haj pilgrimage.
- vi.Goa Chief Minister’s Awards is presented every year on the occasion of Goa liberation Day as under the merit of the following members/Personnel:
- Police Personnel of Police Department for Meritorious Service.
- Members of Fire Service for Meritorious Service.
- Members of Goa Home Guard and Defense for outstanding devotion to duty/gallantry.
- Goa CM Bravery Awards are awarded for courageous service.
- vii.Presidential Medals are awarded to the Personnel of Police, Home Guard/Civil Defense, Prison, and Fire Department for their distinguished service/gallantry every year on the occasion of Liberation Day, Republic Day, and Independence Day.
- viii.Welfare/Pension Scheme for Seafarers, 2012.