The overall quality control of the drugs and food manufactured, distributed and sold in the State of Goa is exercised by the Directorate of food and Drugs Administration as part of the Health Care Organisation under the Department of Public Health in the State Government.
The Directorate of Food and Drugs Administration mainly discharges the statutory functions involved in the implementation of Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 & Rules there under; the Food Safety and Standards Rules 2011 & Regulations 2011 there under. Apart from the duties involved in the enforcement of these two main Acts and Rules, other Acts, Rules and Orders towards which Administration has the responsibilities are as under :
- The Drugs and Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisement) Act, 1954 and Rules 1955.
- The Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985.
- Goa Narcotic Drugs & Psychotropic Substances Rules, 1987.
- The Drugs (Prices Control) Order, 2013.
- The Pharmacy Act, 1948.
- Food Safety and Standard Act 2006 and Rules/Regulations 2011.
- Cigarettes & other Tobacco product ( Prohibition of Advertisement & Regulation of Trade, Commerce, Production, Supply and Distribution) Act 2003
- The Infact Milk Substitute, Feeding bottle and infant food (Regulation of Production Supply and Distribution) Act 2003.