The Department of Science, Technology & Environment (DST&E) was established in the year 1983 as a Secretariat Administrative Department at Panaji, and is now (since 1997), located in a modern premises at Saligao (Bardez), 12 kms. from Capital City of Panaji.
The Department is headed by the Director who is also the ex-officio Joint Secretary to the Government. The Department implements various schemes towards popularization of science, environmental awareness, promotions of Science & Technology (S&T) projects relevant to the State, implementation of renewable energy programmes, application of remote sensing technology, and enforcement of “environmental protection/pollution control” laws. The mandate of the Department is executed through various statutory and non-statutory agencies/authorities listed below
- Goa State Pollution Control Board (GSPCB).
- Goa Coastal Zone Management Authority (GCZMA).
- Goa State Biodiversity Board (GSBB).
- Goa State Council of Science & Technology (GSCS&T).
- Goa Energy Development Agency (GEDA).
- Goa Environment Protection Council (GEPC).