The Government had set up a Department of Excise by order bearing No.1/1/63-Excise dated 27.09.1963 effective from 1-10-1963 to deal problems relating to the production and movement of liquor into and out of the Union Territory and matters related thereto. The Excise Department is having two wings namely (a) Administrative wing and (b) Executive wing. It is placed under the direct control of the Commissioner of Excise having his office at the Head Quarters with subordinate offices at Taluka levels manned by the Excise Inspector. Also Excise Check Posts are set up at the points of exist/entry to check the incoming and outgoing vehicles. Besides Excise Inspectors are also posted at the manufacturing units as in-charge to supervise the movement of incoming and outgoing excisable articles, the manufacture, storage, removal and transport of the such articles and to take care that the smooth running of the distillery, brewery or winery is not hampered.
The below mentioned legislations are implemented:
- Goa, Daman and Diu Excise Duty Act, 1964
- Goa, Daman and Diu Excise Duty Rules, 1964
- Medicinal and Toilet Preparations (Excise Duties) Act, 1955
- Medicinal and Toilet Preparations (Excise Dutis) Rules, 1956
- The Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985 and Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Rules made there under.
- The Goa Daman and Diu Toddy Tappers Welfare Fund Act, 1984.